Magnet AXIOM 7.9 is here, our first monthly release of 2024! We’ve added new features and functionality to help you work as efficiently as possible and save time in your investigations:
- Device Information Quick Report – Quickly gather device information and identifiers for the evidence sources in your case in a concise report right from AXIOM’s case dashboard.
- Improved Video Processing Performance – Improvements to performance and review of
- Improved File and Folder Scanning – Helping you to easily move processed cases or evidence to different systems to complete your analysis.
- Mobile Processing Speed Improvement – In this release we have also made changes to our mobile carving procedure that provided an average 10% reduction in processing time of mobile images while decreasing the number of false positive hits. In our internal testing, when combined with the improvements to video processing performance, we saw a 20% overall reduction in processing time for a mobile image extracted from a real-word device with close to 50GB of data.
Improved Video Processing Performance
As the video quality of phones and cameras has increased, the volume of video evidence has also increased. It is estimated that over 80% of investigations include video evidence. With the release of Magnet AXIOM 7.9, we have made improvements to the video processing speed and presentation of video thumbnails in AXIOM, which facilitates AI detection. In our internal testing, a GRAYKEY extraction of an actively used phone with over 5,000 video files was processed 17% faster.
This improvement also includes changes to the generation of video thumbnails, which provides improvement to AI categorizations involving small objects in video frames. This helps identify items including human faces, hands, tattoos, license plates, and hate symbols.
Device Information Quick Report
The range of devices in criminal investigations continues to rise, with the average being around six devices per person. To help you address questions around evidence sources that often come up during court proceedings, AXIOM can now produce a concise report detailing device information and identifiers for all the evidence sources in your case.
Improved File and Folder Scanning
To facilitate instances where a case needs to be moved to a different machine between processing and examination – but the File and Folder scanning option has been used to select specific files on the local system or a connected device like a portable drive – AXIOM will now create a container for the evidence and process it as an image.
This change facilities the movement of the case data, as there is now a .zip that the evidence can easily remap to instead of potentially losing the connection to evidence stored on the original machine. This change also provides a snapshot of the initial evidence content as a basis for comparison in the event that it needs to be reprocessed.
New and Updated Artifacts
AXIOM 7.9 also includes many new and updated artifacts to help keep your investigations current with the latest data sources. In this release we have added support for Sessions, an encrypted messenger application that can be accessed using keychain and keystore records from GRAYKEY mobile extractions.
- Sessions (iOS and Android)
- Aloha Browser (Android)
- Apple Mail (iOS)
- Biome (iOS)
- Device Information (iOS)
- DuckDuckGo Bookmarks (Android)
- Facebook Messenger (iOS)
- iCloud Local Files (iOS)
- iMessage/SMS/MMS (iOS)
- Installed Applications (iOS)
- SnapChat (iOS and Android)
- Telegram (iOS and Android)
- TikTok (iOS)
- Users Accounts (Windows)
- WebKit Browser Web History (iOS)
- WhatsApp (iOS and Android)
Get Magnet AXIOM 7.9 Today!
We continually improve AXIOM to make it our most comprehensive digital forensic platform. When every second counts, it’s important that we do what we can to streamline the primary workflow of examiners. We’re excited that these AXIOM improvements do exactly this.
If your agency needs to perform remote collections, collect from cloud storage services, or Microsoft Office 365, check out what’s new in AXIOM Cyber here.